Recognize Historic Homes During Preservation Month
Currently the community is celebrating Preservation Month.
Along with incredible historic businesses located in the area and beautiful museums, there unique historic homes to admire.
The first two presented are the Moreton Frewen House and the Charles L. Beatty House.
Moreton Frewen House aka Everett V. Hall House
Frewen emigrated to Wyoming during the cattle boom in the 1870s and 1880s. He was originally from England where he was born and raised. He married an American heiress Clara Jerome and they settled on a huge Wyoming ranch, The Prince of Wales Ranch. Frewan ruled over his neighbors, who greatly resented him. Their home on this ranch later was destroyed by fire. When he lost the ranch, the neighbors tore down the existing structures and dragged the materials to their own ranches for use. In 1881, the Moreton Frewen House in Cheyenne was built. The house was known for the tooled leather wall covering, which still may remain in the house. Frewen did not have the best of luck financially, eventually moving back to England where he owned homes in London and Cork. Frewen served as Vice President of the Imperial Federation League before he was elected to take a seat at the House of Commons of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. He resigned form his seat 8 months later to make room for Healy and because of his reactionary public statements. The house is now a private residence located at 506 E 23rd St.
Charles L. Beatty House
The Charles L. Beatty House, also known as the Kendrick Building, was built in 1916. Charles Beatty made his way west from Iowa in 1906. He organized and was named president of the Pine Bluff State Bank. He also went on to establish phone service in town and served as Pine Bluff Mayor for five years. In 1916, Beatty came to Cheyenne to organize the Union Trust Company. The architect behind the house’s design was William Robert Dubois. William Dubois was an American architect, who designed more than 70 different commercial buildings in Cheyenne, several buildings built from 1900 to 1920. He also had his hand in several buildings around the State of Wyoming. He finally moved to Cheyenne from Chicago in 1901. The house was named the Kendrick house in 1958 after the State purchased the house. It was named after the sitting governor John Kendrick. The house was the location of the Wyoming Arts Council for two decades until January 2015. The Attorney General offices are now in the Charles L. Beatty house.